Wednesday, July 11, 2012

We Have the Brains

Sometimes, we inevitably have to drive by the hospital where the boys were born. I don't like to, but it happens. And when it does, there is always a surge of emotions, namely, anger, disgust, sadness, grief. When I was little and we drove by the hospital where I was born, my parents used to point it out and say, "Look! That is where you were born." It was interesting and exciting. I can't do that with my boys. Instead, I take a deep breath and turn away, letting the chill finish running through my bones and doing my best to think about something else. 

The other day, Jeremy and I were on our way to get luggage and were taking this route. Rather than the usual intense silence, we were taken aback by this:



Like a sick joke. Like a stab through the heart. It makes me want to vomit and it makes me so very, very angry. Yes, you had my child's brains and you damaged them. Now there is this billboard here to remind me? Perhaps I am being petty, but I consider the following suggestions as therapy:

WE HAVE THE BRAINS...AND WE INJURE THEM

WE DAMAGE THE BRAINS

WE HAVE THE BRAINS...DOESN'T MEAN WE CARE

WE INJURE CHILDREN'S BRAINS

I really wish they would just take that damn billboard down.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, talk about a slap in the face! I know what you mean about the hospital.

    ReplyDelete